[wp-hackers] GSoC 2008 Proposal: Core OpenID Support

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 20:17:12 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Ronald Heft <ron at cavemonkey50.com> wrote:
> Here is my second project proposal. I'll see how this one does, and I will
>  probably crank out at least another proposal before the application
>  submission period begins.

Although it is a provocative proposal, I wonder if it is sufficient
scope. Last I checked, the existing WordPress plugins for related
experiences are pretty polished.

The proposal may be a bit better if used the domain terminology. In
this case, relying party (consumer) and Identity provider or OpenID
provider.

Although, likely to spark a holy war, my biggest problem is OpenID,
other than having big buzz points, doesn't solve an experience problem
for most WordPress participants, and those that it does are well
served by a plugin. Most blogs do not require registration or comment
verification [sic] , nor do I buy the argument that OpenID can have
any significant benefit in the fight against spam. Currently, using
OpenID on any site is pretty awkward and the experience is phishing
fear focused.

Hope that helps,
--
Lloyd Budd | Digital Entomologist | | Skype:foolswisdom
WordPress.com | WordPress.org | Automattic.com