[wp-hackers] GSoC 2008 Proposal: Core OpenID Support

Ronald Heft ron at cavemonkey50.com
Tue Mar 18 20:00:52 GMT 2008

Here is my second project proposal. I'll see how this one does, and I will
probably crank out at least another proposal before the application
submission period begins.

* Abstract *

An often requested feature for WordPress has been OpenID support. Why is
OpenID such a popular request? Well, OpenID allows users to maintain a
single identity online. Users of OpenID can use the same login across
multiple websites, making signups and logins more convenient. Since blogs
often require users to register, OpenID makes a logical solution for quick
and secure signups.

However, the bigger question is what would OpenID bring to WordPress?

- OpenID would allow for faster commenting (only need to fill out one field)
for any user with an OpenID.

- Registration would be quicker and less painful. Users would only have to
enter their OpenID identifier and they would be registered for that
WordPress website.

- OpenID would help ease the spam issue. Bloggers could disallow anonymous
comments, but allow commenting without registration through OpenID.

- Every WordPress.com user already has an OpenID Identity, thus
WordPress.com users would have a quick and easy registration option on new
blogs.

* Solution *

- Add OpenID support as a core patch.

- Allow users to register a WordPress user account using OpenID.

- Allow existing users to add their OpenID login to their account, allowing
future OpenID logins (This would also allow admins to login into WordPress
with OpenID).

- Hook into the existing comment form, so themes do not have to support an
additional input field. A separate field could be offered as an option.

- Provide an option for blog admins to make their WordPress blog their
OpenID identity, at least through the passthrough method of the
openid.server <head> <link> tag. Possibly making WordPress an identity
server if time allows.

- Allow OpenID support to be enabled or disabled on a blog, with the default
state chosen based on community feedback.

* Related URLs *

WordPress Idea: http://wordpress.org/extend/ideas/topic.php?id=40

Old Rejected Ticket: http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3613

More Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID

Official Website: http://openid.net/

Security Now Podcast on the Technology and Security Behind OpenID:
http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-095.htm

--
Ronald Heft, Jr.
Information Sciences and Technology