[wp-hackers] GSoC 2008 Proposal: Core OpenID Support
ron at cavemonkey50.com
Tue Mar 18 20:00:52 GMT 2008
Here is my second project proposal. I'll see how this one does, and I will
probably crank out at least another proposal before the application
submission period begins.
* Abstract *
An often requested feature for WordPress has been OpenID support. Why is
OpenID such a popular request? Well, OpenID allows users to maintain a
single identity online. Users of OpenID can use the same login across
multiple websites, making signups and logins more convenient. Since blogs
often require users to register, OpenID makes a logical solution for quick
and secure signups.
However, the bigger question is what would OpenID bring to WordPress?
- OpenID would allow for faster commenting (only need to fill out one field)
for any user with an OpenID.
- Registration would be quicker and less painful. Users would only have to
enter their OpenID identifier and they would be registered for that
- OpenID would help ease the spam issue. Bloggers could disallow anonymous
comments, but allow commenting without registration through OpenID.
- Every WordPress.com user already has an OpenID Identity, thus
WordPress.com users would have a quick and easy registration option on new
* Solution *
- Add OpenID support as a core patch.
- Allow users to register a WordPress user account using OpenID.
- Allow existing users to add their OpenID login to their account, allowing
future OpenID logins (This would also allow admins to login into WordPress
- Hook into the existing comment form, so themes do not have to support an
additional input field. A separate field could be offered as an option.
- Provide an option for blog admins to make their WordPress blog their
OpenID identity, at least through the passthrough method of the
openid.server <head> <link> tag. Possibly making WordPress an identity
server if time allows.
- Allow OpenID support to be enabled or disabled on a blog, with the default
state chosen based on community feedback.
* Related URLs *
WordPress Idea: http://wordpress.org/extend/ideas/topic.php?id=40
Old Rejected Ticket: http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3613
More Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID
Official Website: http://openid.net/
Security Now Podcast on the Technology and Security Behind OpenID:
Ronald Heft, Jr.
Information Sciences and Technology
Pennsylvania State University
More information about the wp-hackers