[wp-hackers] Discussion about Optional Closing PHP tags in the WordPress Library

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Wed Jun 18 00:23:27 GMT 2008

You know, it is a really good thing that the discussion is a closed
matter. The Coding Standards aren't up for debate, however, there are
some issues I've come across, which I would like some input on how it
can be addressed in the least amount of elitism as possible. Luckily,
everyone here is educated enough to understand the debate, so it should
be more about solutions than debating about something.

The first problem I've encountered is a Trac ticket, which questioned
the lack of a closing PHP tag at the end of a file. It was handled
pretty well. The coding standard states that all library files and PHP
file have a closing PHP tag. Sort of like XHTML, you have a opening tag,
then you have closing tag, even if it is optional (like HTML). So the
tag was added, end of story.

Right, so the problem is this. If you leave the closing PHP tag out,
then you have people informing you that you have a bug since PHP
"requires" a closing PHP tag.

The second problem is in #7149, where you have the opposite problem. A
new line is accidentally added to the end of a WordPress library file
causing errors to occur in the execution. The solution is to remove the
offending new lines and carry on with your merry day. However, so a
"solution" came in, which really isn't a very good one. To avoid
worrying about new lines creeping into files and causing issues, you
could remove all of the closing PHP tags from those files (see problem #1).

I'm not sure if there is a proper channel for relaying PHP
troubleshooting to users or if one should exist. The problem doesn't
affect enough people to actually do anything code wise. If there isn't
already, would a Common Troubleshooting page on the WordPress Codex for
PHP errors that come up be helpful? You could just point them to that page?

Really, from the commonly quoted message on the subject, the conclusion
translates to that it is better to have the closing PHP tag, so that
those who don't know better don't get tripped up on the small stuff.
Whether or not WordPress should have the closing PHP tag is not at issue
here. How is this problem, when it occurs troubleshooted for users?

I'm not sure my response, "Learn PHP!" would be all that helpful and
could come across as being an ass.

Thanks.

Jacob Santos