[wp-hackers] Idea: Plugin Version Limitation

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Jun 16 17:24:45 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Viper007Bond <viper at viper007bond.com> wrote:
> -1, it'd be a pain to keep those version numbers up to date and people would
> just end up setting the max-version to like "10.0.0".

No argument, however that would be a valid option for somebody to do.
You can do that with Firefox extensions as well. Few people do,
however.

Still, for a plugin which is always going to work (say it's something
simple, like a mere filter on the_content), then marking it as forward
compatible for several versions is a valid choice to make.

> 1/2 the Firefox extensions I use that aren't marked as 3.0 compatible work
> fine for me, so really it doesn't work as well as intended IMO.

I greatly disagree with that assessment.

When I upgraded to FF3 RC3, several extensions of mine stopped
working. When I manually overrode that behavior, FF3 would crash on
startup. I had to switch to safe mode to disable them and get it
working again. Later, newer versions of those extensions were
released, and FF3 notified me and upgraded them.

-Otto