[wp-hackers] "Outdated plugin" notice (was: load_plugin_textdomain() )

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jul 29 14:03:55 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Gaarai <gaarai at gaarai.com> wrote:
> I think that we are missing something very important here. The Codex is
> consistently outdated on what is or is not deprecated, and often is an
> unreliable source of accurate and current API information.
>
> What mechanism could possibly keep track of the status of all function calls
> and valid parameters when the Codex doesn't even contain that data?

The code itself keeps track of that and has since 2.4.

wp-includes/functions.php. _deprecated_function and _deprecated_file
are called whenever somebody uses a deprecated function or file.

This is why/how I want this info displayed to the end-user. Don't much
care about HOW it is displayed, but the end-user is the only one who
can actually do anything about it. We can't make plugin authors fix
their plugins, but the plugin-users can complain to those authors or
they can switch to different plugins. Natural selection and all that.