[wp-hackers] "Outdated plugin" notice (was: load_plugin_textdomain() )

Gaarai gaarai at gaarai.com
Tue Jul 29 03:01:02 GMT 2008

Hey Jacob. We met at WordCamp back in April. This is the Chris that
chatted with you about wanting to develop some coding standards for plugins.

You bring up a good point, and it reinforces my point about the lack of
consistency. First off, there is no way that the deprecated.php file can
ever be a comprehensive source of what is or is not deprecated.
Secondly, while the commenting has been improving greatly, I don't think
any type of commenting format could ever adequately identify the nuances
that occur with some types of deprecation.

Consider the ongoing debate about the API change with the
load_plugin_textdomain() attributes. No amount of entries into the
deprecated.php file or exhaustive commenting could distinguish between
the old function call with two parameters and the envisioned replacement
function call with two parameters.

I guess my point is that there may not be a solution to this problem. I
would rather have a lack of such a "debugging" system than a system that
only caught the obvious problems while missing the obscure ones entirely.

I suppose that there is a possible solution that isn't as elegant but
could be implemented right now. Plugins that contain a readme.txt file
and have an appropriately-formatted "Tested up to" entry could be
checked for version compatibility. Thus, if a WordPress upgrade were
available (which the code for that already exists), the plugins listing
could show whether or not specific plugins are to be considered ready
for the upgrade to the latest WordPress version. Just an idea to throw
into the hat.

- Gaarai