[wp-hackers] Slow w/ Permalinks

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Jul 23 18:33:15 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Alexander Concha <alex at buayacorp.com> wrote:
>> The big question is why. Did i miss something when i added the info (I
>> correctly inputted gui info for each item added)? Can anyone venture a clue?
>> It's been driving me out of my mind so much i'm willing to compensate
>> someone for their time if they can look and give me a defining answer.
>> Thanks.
>
> If I'm not mistaken, WP generates 3000x4 rewrite rules for your pages,
> that's why it's so slow.
>
> To avoid this, you can set $wp_rewrite->use_verbose_page_rules in false and
> then use a slight different permalink structure
> "/posts/%category%/%postname%" -- I've used this hack to solve a similar
> problem.

If you start the structure with 'posts' instead of  '%category%',
use_verbose_page_rules should automatically be set to false.

Starting permalink structures with wildcards such as %postname%,
%category%, %tag%, and %author% means we have to use verbose rules to
avoid rewrite collisions.  Putting taxonomy tags in your structure
also means you can accidentally 404 posts when you change categories
or tags after publishing.  Plus, categories in permalinks is so early
00s, back when posts were given one category.  Now posts must be given
a full taxonomic infusion of categories and tags to be cool. ;-)