[wp-hackers] Slow w/ Permalinks

Alexander Concha alex at buayacorp.com
Wed Jul 23 18:02:06 GMT 2008

David J. Bisset escribió:
> Greetings.
>
> I manually inserted 3000 pages into wp_posts (and associated data into
> wp_postmeta) via mysql (because this was much faster than entering the
> information via WP backend). The problem is that the website is taking a
> *LONG* time pulling up the pages and I have determined it's only slow
> when i activate my custom permalink:
>
> /%category%/%postname%
>
> So this is very slow:
>
> www.samplesite.com/state/california/los-angeles/finalpage
>
> When i revert to default permalinks, there's no problem:
>
> http://www.samplesite.com/?p=1400
>
> The big question is why. Did i miss something when i added the info (I
> correctly inputted gui info for each item added)? Can anyone venture a
> clue? It's been driving me out of my mind so much i'm willing to
> compensate someone for their time if they can look and give me a
> defining answer. Thanks.

If I'm not mistaken, WP generates 3000x4 rewrite rules for your pages,
that's why it's so slow.

To avoid this, you can set $wp_rewrite->use_verbose_page_rules in false
and then use a slight different permalink structure
"/posts/%category%/%postname%" -- I've used this hack to solve a similar
problem.

Best regards.
--
Alexander Concha
http://www.buayacorp.com/

El camino del cielo es empinado, y el del infierno llano.