[wp-hackers] Improving Plugin (and Theme) metadata

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sun Jan 27 03:34:32 GMT 2008

I thought about your arguments for a long time and I've come to the
conclusion that you are missing my point. It might be that I was just
unclear, so allow me clarify.

I'm talking about an implementation which has been partially tested,
shown to partially work, and the new patch should fix all of the
complaints for the last patch. I'm talking about a patch for a version
which the behavior is not deprecated, which solves a feature request a
year old. I'm talking about 10-20 lines. I'm talking about something
that if it was committed now, could be tested within the month before it
goes live.

You both are talking about an feature, which has no implementation, has
no release date (can only make one with an implementation) and by
estimates, the ticket will be almost two years old when one is released.
You are talking about a lot of code, which would have to be reviewed,
debated, and then tested when committed.

I'm talking about fixing the issue for those who will be using 2.5 for
the three to six months until the new feature is released that
deprecates the old behavior. I'm talking about implementing a feature
that most people will continue to use up when the new feature is
released and continue to be able to use it even after the new feature is
released.

The new feature could make building plugins a lot easier, safer, and
with a better feature set than can be supported now. The current plugin
data method works and has been tested and I believe with some partial
evidence to support my argument that by committing my implementation
would benefit a whole lot of people for WordPress 2.5 and beyond until
the Super Awesome New Method is implemented.

I fully support you and anyone that builds this great feature and if no
one stands up, then when May comes, I'll take up the challenge. If
someone else does stand up, they have both my support with testing,
suggestions, and help, and my appreciation because I'll love you forever
for making my plugin writing awesome! Until then, I believe this is a
non issue and if you don't know, we've spent more time debating whether
the implementation should be WordPress 2.5, than it actually spent to
write the implementation. You are right that whether I implement it or
not does not matter, I'm just saying that I won't devote any time to
something, when I have no extra time to give.

You know, I have no power whether or not the current implementation gets
in for WordPress 2.5. If Peter and everyone else on the commit team
thinks this new idea is the way to move forward, then great. However, I
would be more content if it was a sure thing. I just totally hate the
idea that something so minor has to go through so much debate, it is
just crazy. So basically, I'm just politely trying to knock of the
commit teams doors in the hopes that they'll listen to my reasoning and
just commit the patch and see where it goes.

Basically, another reason I can't agree with you, is that I've been
wanting to "replace" the implementation of query and rewrite with
something more easy to define and more inline with Controller
functionality. Trying to crack open the query is like drilling a hole in
my head. I would rather like an easy to use function which adds both the
rewrite path and query and load my script in the process. However, since
I've stated this intention, should be just block all enhancements to
query and rewrite until the new implementation is completed?

I think not and I think this debate is the same.

The debate could easily be ended by marking the ticket as "won't fix"
and I'll supply a new patch which removes the behavior included in #5651
patch.