[wp-hackers] Commenting on new admin screens?

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Thu Jan 17 17:16:32 GMT 2008

[Jennifer]
>> Also, I'm concerned about the way the edit screen is now set up. Any
>> plugin that previously added a section to the edit screen, to look like
>> a regular screen section using the pre-2.5 scheme, will not conform to
>> the new scheme and will not have an open/close box any more.  I like the
>> new scheme - much easier to code than the previous scheme - but the fact
>> that it is changing is going to mean that plugins will either have to
>> check versions and output accordingly, or be very WP-version-specific.
>> This will be a major pain for plugin developers.

[Ryan]
> I'd like to add some API in 2.5 to make doing this easier and more
> portable across versions.  Plugins can check for the presence of the
> new API funcs and fallback to their old ways if they're not there.
> The admin re-design will cause grief for some plugins.  We'll try to
> ease the transition, but we can't shackle ourselves.

That sounds good, if not essential. Is there a trac issue filed on it
so we can watch, comment, etc.? Anyway, it would be great if it gets
into place soon, so plugin authors can try to be ready for the new
release... as I am sure you are aware, many of us fit in plugin
development and other WP work in between work that pays, so a little
extra time is always good. :)

I did file bugs on the other two issues I noted in my earlier email...
will try to work up patches as time permits.

Cheers,
    Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon

Poplar ProductivityWare * www.poplarware.com
Web Databases/Scripts * Modeling/Analysis/Palm OS Software