[wp-hackers] Re: [wp-svn] [6576] trunk/wp-admin/wp-admin.css: The bottom of this shouldn' t run into the box.

spencerp spencerp1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 08:06:33 GMT 2008

Well, I was just talking to Jeremy Visser about this, "we" both came to
conclusion that the Negative margin-top needs figured out specifically
for the exact height of the footer which is 65px. SO, in negative
decimal -5.5 we need it to be exact with 65px...

So, we need to find out in "em" what 65px IS. To help make it work even
better.

 From the Hack page itself...

In the case where the Web page's contents do not take up the entire
browser window, the footer will naturally be positioned just below the
bottom of the window. Once we specify a negative margin that is equal to
the height of the footer, it will bring it back into view, with its
bottom resting on the edge of the window.

For the case where the Web page content is larger than the browser
window, the footer will be positioned naturally below the content, then
brought up by the margin. For this scenario you should provide a bit of
space at the bottom of your content which the footer can rise into
without covering anything. This can be done with a bit of padding or
margin on your content, as you can see in the CSS above.

*The only drawback to footerStickAlt is that you must know the exact
height of your footer (whether it be in absolute or relative pixels).*
However, you have to know this roughly with the original version anyway,
in order to make room for the footer at the bottom of the content. It's
generally a non-issue with footers anyway, as they have limited
information and a sparse layout