[wp-hackers] Codex on 2.5 plugin/theme migration...

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Thu Feb 14 23:38:06 GMT 2008

We might need a Codex article on migrating plugins and themes to 2.5.
The last "migrating" article was for 2.1:
   http://codex.wordpress.org/Migrating_Plugins_and_Themes_to_2.1

The only issues I know about right now for 2.5:

- Plugins are activated in a non-global scope, so you may have to add
a couple of 'global' declarations to your plugin to get the activation
to work.
- Format/markup of the post edit screen has changed, so if your plugin
adds sections to this screen, it needs to do it differently.
- Admin menu has been reorganized. This didn't break any of my own
plugins, though. I think I may have to make slight changes to the docs
  (e.g. "Options" is now "Settings" and it's in the upper right
corner), but probably nothing else. Anyone else having a different
experience?

So, any comments, thoughts, etc.? Right now it might be a pretty short
article, but I think it may still be worth writing. If you have
thoughts about 2.2 or 2.3 migrations that should have been mentioned,
let me know that too. Thoughts on that:
    2.3 - tagging (add to themes), canonical URLs (this bit me on a
plugin)
    2.2 - widgets (make themes widget-compatible, add widgets to plugins)

Thanks,
     Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
    www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
  Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
   Modeling/Analysis/Palm OS Software