[wp-hackers] Improving Plugin (and Theme) metadata

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sat Feb 9 00:53:40 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 8, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Jennifer Hodgdon <yahgrp at poplarware.com> wrote:
> Why should WP be providing tools for what is a much more general
>  problem, internationalizing applications with gettext? We don't
>  provide web browsers, text editors, PHP debuggers, or any of the other
>  tools that developers might use.

There are a bazillion such tools for pulling strings from custom file
format X, and custom wrappers around xgettext are part of the build
process of many projects.  We could make our plugin headers compatible
with one of the many extraction tools out there, but we already have a
heaping helping of plugins using our custom format.  A simple PHP
script ( I hear WP plugin authors have PHP installed :-) would get the
job done, and maybe the plugin repo can offer pot generation so that
no tool is needed.