[wp-hackers] Multiple options vs. one large serialized option

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Fri Aug 8 12:04:51 GMT 2008

I have a plugin (Viper's Video Quicktags) that I'm currently recoding from
scratch and I'm wondering how I should store my options.

I have a decent set of configuration variables (sizes, colors, etc.) so I
can't decide if I should store them in one option or break them up a bit
(like one per video format or something). I'm not storing huge chunks of
text or anything crazy like that, just small strings and some variables.

So what's the "cutoff" where it becomes more efficient to break it up than
store it in one big long serialized string in the database? Or is there one?
It'd be easier for me to store it all in one option, but I'm not sure what
would be best from a performance standpoint.

--
Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/ | http://www.finalgear.com/