[wp-hackers] Jeff Atwood on WP Overhead

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Thu Apr 24 03:15:47 GMT 2008

Just thought I'd mention that one of my WordPress-powered sites was on the
front page of Autoblog.com AND Jalopnik.com today and my server didn't even
notice (no load spikes except for bandwidth). True, I do have WP-Super-Cache
installed, but this is hardly the ideal solution for most blogs due to the
lack of dynamic content (I had to code up some AJAX and other JS to keep the
dynamic header + dynamic countdown). The site also doesn't allow comments or
have any polls or anything, so it can get away with static caches. I don't
run any caching for example on my personal blog for example though.

All in all, I think it comes down to a fundamental difference in how things
should be done. Do you want to spend half an hour to make a new post or do
you want it instant? For like 95% of blogs out there, 100% dynamic with no
caching is just fine.

For those that suffer from slow load times, they are either running
WordPress on a poor server (Windows, unoptimized, underpowered, or whatever)
or they should enable the object cache (which helps quite a bit, especially
if you cache to like X-Cache) or go hardcore with full static.

However, don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to that Google SOC project
getting completed. Assuming it doesn't suffer from the problems of the first
object cache, it will be a welcomed addition for those medium sized sites
running on cheap hosts. Less load is can never be a bad thing.

--
Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/ | http://www.finalgear.com/