[wp-hackers] How to properly add/process fields to the write/edit post form

Glenn Ansley glenn at glennansley.com
Thu Apr 3 13:17:47 GMT 2008

Hi,
I've written several private plugins that add form fields to the write/edit
post screen and process the data when the post is saved or published.
I don't feel like I'm doing this properly though. Does anybody know where I
can read up on how to properly add form fields and process them?

It would be great if there was something equivalent to the explanation of
properly adding an options page in the wiki (
http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_Options_Pages)
If that doesn't exist though, any documentation you know of would be helpful
(even the code from an existing plugin that does it well).

It might be helpful to mention that I'm saving data from these fields in the
postmeta table.

Thanks.