[wp-hackers] Let's make Buttonsnap fully obsolete

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Wed Apr 2 21:38:47 GMT 2008

On the backwards compatibility front, I'm actually seriously considering
just dropping pre-2.5 support for all of my plugins. Users are welcome to
use older versions of my plugins, but the amount of duplicate code is
getting rediculous.

For example, in my Video Quicktags plugin, I have to add buttons THREE
different ways -- one for WordPress 2.0, one for TinyMCE 2, and one for
TinyMCE 3. Then for the BBCode (aka shortags), if I want to switch to using
the much easier and more robust shortags API in 2.5, I'd still have to
maintain the old regex code for previous versions.

It's kinda like once you start coding for PHP5 and using the new features,
it's hard to keep supporting PHP4 (although I will as that's not nearly as
bad).