[wp-hackers] Ajaxian Page Ordering for Wordpress

Bernardo Santos berpasan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:53:28 GMT 2007

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the thoughtful comments.

I will put "Edit Page Order" on the top. The problem with "Next Page" you
might be referring to is probably that it takes some time to load the pages
from the server. Once a page has been loaded, it stays cached, so it loads
up instantly (the case of "Previous").

The "Page Refreshing" you mentioned is actually an animation for the page
transition. It can easily be changed to some other type (such as flashing,
etc), I added support for it in the component. It is there to make it
clearer to the user that something changed. If we turn it off (what is easy
to do as well), the next page appears instantly and the change is hard to
notice. I agree it can make things a little "bumpy" on the transition,
JavaScript is crappy on most browsers (I would say it is good on Safari and
decent on FF), specially if your machine is a little slow.

In the overall, the pagination of this component is a very hard problem to
solve,  due to nesting and the need to move one element from one page to the
other. Even with a lot of effort (I would say more than 50% of the work done
was related to pagination support), it is hard to find a way that it will
fell more natural to the user. So, I think pagination at a large number of
pages (50 or 100) is probably the best way to go. It will be there only for
those few users that actually need it (because they have hundreds of pages).

Cheers, Bernardo