[wp-hackers] PROPOSAL: Use sunmanagers etiquette to help reduce list S/N ratio

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Sat Oct 6 12:46:54 GMT 2007

The only ones i see relevant (And should allready be followed) are #1, #2, #6, #10, #13

Discussion needs to take place on the list relating to the question, Everyone needs to see the full responses to allow them to add their own opinion as the discussion goes on, wp-hackers isnt a "Ask a question, get a single reponse, next question please" type of list; But people need to understand when they should break off the discussion, or when its going too far off-topic.

The only way i personally see the S/N staying low is by everyone realising its getting out of control, and that they may be part of the problem, There needs to be a clear guidelines for what IS and what ISNT wp-hackers, And when the discussion moves into the latter, it needs to be strongly suggested that the discussion be moved somewhere more relevant (But face it, Its unlikely it can be moved elsewhere due to the contributers only common subscribed service being wp-hackers, Which is a problem they can deal with).
Those people who continuously ignore the set lines of discussion should perhaps be punished(a week of moderation perhaps -- with them knowing there'll be not much time from moderators to do the moderation)

I'm thinking that maybe we should have another list that more 'senior members' post 'status updates' of whats currently happening in development(Ie. describing new features which are going into trunk, major changes made to functions, The position of them on a topic being discussed on wp-hackers(eg. "Yes, the bike shed is going to stay red, There are no plans to change that anytime soon unless there is a outstandingly good reason to, It might look better Blue, But its serving its purpose at present, and the added functionality of blue is nill"
Yes those could be posted to wp-hackers, But as we've seen, If something similar gets posted into a thread, discussion will continue on completely ignoring the message; Sometimes i wish i had Gmails mute function in my mail client.