[wp-hackers] Page searching examples [was: 2.4 planning discussion]

Sam Bauers sam at viveka.net.au
Wed Oct 3 10:58:43 GMT 2007

Perhaps search should just honour robots.txt like every other search
engine. Then you could exclude certain pages using a standard format
file in the root directory. I haven't checked, but there is probably
a plugin that is designed to cleverly manipulate robots.txt out there.

robots.txt can even be made to work differently for different search
engines, so rules could be setup for external search engines that are
more restrictive than those for the internal one if that is a concern.

Search results should probably also strip tags, this would avoid the
problem of forms and other formatting turning up in search results.

I would prefer it if the results returned the actual context of the
searched terms on the page, rather than a summary. Using the title is
fine, but if I can't tell *why* my search terms matched that page or
post I am less inclined to go to the result. So it should either
highlight the search terms in a fragment of the content, or show that
it is returned as one of the tags on that page/post.

This is all standard practice for search engines, why not WP's own
search as well?

  Sam Bauers

  sam at viveka.net.au