[wp-hackers] PostgreSQL port status?

Robin Adrianse robin.adr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 02:48:03 GMT 2007

I don't think (though Matt would be the one to confirm this) that WordPress
is aiming to be compatible with anything but MySQL for the indefinite
future. Efforts to add another database engine have been attempted, but I
have yet to see a complete and fully functional one, without much
detrimental effect on speed.

I believe the rationale for supporting only MySQL is that we can use
MySQL-specific features such as FULLTEXT indices (which really should be
used for searches), and to keep support as easy as possible. Not to mention
MySQL is one of the best DBMS' out there, and is likely the widest deployed.

There are concerns on the ML and the Codex that will likely never get
addressed. That is life. WordPress can't possibly do everything people want
it to do and in every way possible. That would be bloat.