[wp-hackers] comment_author and HTML entities?

Sabin Iacob iacobs at m0n5t3r.info
Thu May 24 20:17:28 GMT 2007

Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:
> Within that table there is a field named "comment_author".
>
> I've found that values in this table are in "HTML escaped" format.
>
> So... "&" appears as "&", etc.
>
> My question is... is this who it is suppose to be?

yes, probably; since comment_author is supposed to be displayed as HTML,
the entities are supposed to be escaped, and doing it when the comment
is saved instead of doing it on display adds a slight (depending on the
comment count and traffic, it can actually become significant) speed
improvement (saves a htmlentities run on every comment on every display
in the worst - and most common - case when caching isn't used).