[wp-hackers] 2.3 Features

Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira eduo at mac.com
Thu May 17 23:10:22 GMT 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 1:00 AM, jason switzer wrote:

> On 5/16/07, Doug Stewart <zamoose at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Quick spitballing on the updating of plugins - a single link at the
>> bottom/top of the plugins page that hits the plugin repo, creates a
>> zipfile containing all relevant plugin files and prompting the
>> user to
>> download it, allowing them to upload/update at their leisure.
>
> I'm not really trying to "spitball it" because I think it would
> definately
> be a step in the right direction. I would personally love to see
> plugins and
> themes be brain-dead simple to upgrade or install (useful if you
> make no
> changes to them). I would prefer it not simply notify me of the
> update but
> be able to perform the update as well (perhaps with an "Update Plugin"
> button, so I can click on that button at my leisure) when it
> detects one is
> available. It's not how I would implement said feature, but it
> would still
> improve the situation.

I actually agree here. I really don't need a centralised way to
upgrade plug-ins, I just need them to be able to update without me
having to go through the check,download,disable,unzip,place,enable.

The normal approach people think here is having a central repository
and have that be hit. This, to me, is just one of the possible ways.

Another way would be to provide the infrastructure for plugins to
register themselves to update. the plug-in would just register in the
updater engine with a list of places to check for new versions. The
updater engine would then periodically check all the plug-ins sites
(similar to appcasts for Sparkle in Mac OS X) and let the user know
of updates.

The update notice sent after the ping would specify the new version,
changes and other comments, and would internally specify what needs
to be done and where.

This would take off the burden of a repository, which I think is
great for human browsing but I just don't see for programatic access.
I'm not sure if this made any sense, I know I have it clearer in my
mind, but it's 1am :)

Eduo