[wp-hackers] Call for Plugin Developer

Sabin Iacob iacobs at m0n5t3r.info
Sun Mar 18 21:59:16 GMT 2007

jason switzer wrote:
> I haven't looked at Inline Gallery in a while, so I'll try to check it
> out.

heh, after looking at comments, it appears that it didn't work out too
well last time you tried :P

> F-Spot, to my knowledge
> will store the data in the files as XMP and EXIF comments. I haven't
> spent
> forever looking for documentation (found all that out by just sifting
> through the svn code) but f-spot.org is probably a good starting point.

I am using the PHP JPEG metadata toolkit to handle XMP, and it pretty
much does the job, but the code is hideous, most functions output html
when they don't like something, the author felt an urge to reinvent UTF8
escaping (all escaping, actually), so rewriting that is high on my
priority list, if I only could find a few days of feeling like working
to get it started...

At f-spot.org they say _reading_ xmp and IPTC data is planned and is to
be included really soon; they say nothing about writing, but I have to
check the source code. What I was more interested in was the RPC
protocols they use for publishing to flickr and the like; I'll check to
see if the gallery remote service from gallery2 can be hacked to work
stand-alone, or I would need to write the whole implementation from scratch.

> On an unrelated note: xfce is built on Gtk, so it can interact with gnome
> applications and do all things gnome. You shouldn't have any troubles
> running f-spot under gnome (or kde for that matter).

moria ~ # emerge -p f-spot

Calculating dependencies... done!
[snip]

Total: 32 packages (31 new, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 47,980 kB

... or maybe not.