[wp-hackers] Drop PHP4 support entirely?

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 8 13:03:47 GMT 2007

> Honestly though - users don't give a damn about under the hood. "Power"
> doesn't mean anything - features do.
>
> Now if we used PDO to make it possible to connect to PostgreSQL and
> stuff,  small percentage of our userbase might just be convinced. But
> you tell the rest it's "faster" and "more efficient" and they'll just
> tell you it wasn't slow before.
>
> Jamie: imagine at this very minute in the Fantastico mailing list,
> they're saying: "Now if only they could get Matt Mullenweg to agree to
> make WP only PHP5, our chances just skyrocketed" :P

Actually the Fantatico thing was a bad example on my part. Why on earth would they push PHP5, when the product they design their software for is one of the biggest obstacles facing hosting companies to move to PHP5 - Cpanel. CPanel really need some competition out there. I just wish I had the time hehe.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net