[wp-hackers] Final push for 2.1

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 07:49:44 GMT 2007

On 1/10/07, Daniel Jalkut <jalkut at red-sweater.com> wrote:
> In particular I'd like to see some clear description of whether I can
> easily go back to 2.0.6 if things go wrong. I know I can just back
> out the files on disk, but what are the implications to my database?
> WP always seems to "update the database" when I update the release,
> but is that always the case? Is there really always a change in the
> DB to reflect the version?  If so, do I have to restore from backups
> or does simply replacing the old files allow me to downgrade? These
> kinds of questions might have obvious answers to many of you, but
> you're not looking for help from people who this stuff is obvious to.

No, people have encountered all sorts of problems by upgrading to 2.1,
then downgrading to 2.0.x.

If you're planning on downgrading at some point, don't. Instead, just
make a copy of your existing database so you can fall back to the
backup at some point.

WordPress 2.1 features an 'export' feature, which can export your
posts to an XML format. You can then import that XML file into
WordPress 2.0 with the help of a plugin called 'WordPress-to-WordPress
Import' <http://www.technosailor.com/wordpress-to-wordpress-import>.

--
Jeremy Visser
Email: jeremy.visser at gmail.com