[wp-hackers] Final push for 2.1

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Jan 10 07:42:51 GMT 2007

On 1/9/07, Daniel Jalkut <jalkut at red-sweater.com> wrote:

> In particular I'd like to see some clear description of whether I can
> easily go back to 2.0.6 if things go wrong. I know I can just back
> out the files on disk, but what are the implications to my database?
> WP always seems to "update the database" when I update the release,
> but is that always the case? Is there really always a change in the
> DB to reflect the version?  If so, do I have to restore from backups
> or does simply replacing the old files allow me to downgrade? These
> kinds of questions might have obvious answers to many of you, but
> you're not looking for help from people who this stuff is obvious to.

You have to restore your DB from a backup to go back to 2.0.x.

Since you want "the public" to help, you want to make it as easy as
> possible for them to do so. A guide of best practices or at least
> more explicit warnings will help that, I think.

When we announce a Release Candidate to the public, we'll include more
detailed instructions.  I don't know if we have anything in Codex yet that
is appropriate.  Anyone want to whip up a "So You Want to Test a
Beta/Release Candidate?" codex page?

Ryan