[wp-hackers] Checking plugins versions

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Tue Jan 2 11:20:59 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 10:45 +0100, Tassoman (mailing) wrote:
> I think that if plugin writers could be "forced" to add a txt file (like
> pluginname.ver) containing the number version of lastest stable to check
> against owned by user archive distribution. A small method like
> "get_plugin_version" could be triggered for example once a week?

I have thought about the following: One could develop a meta-plugin,
which provides an admin page with information for each plugin like
current version, latest version available, nature of changes between
installed and latest version (security fixes), maybe even some sort of
changelog.

Plugin authors would provide this information in a standardized way,
e.g. in an XML file. This file could be put into a central repository,
or the plugin itself could carry the information where the update file
is. Creating the update file could be simplified and standardised with a
small generator form.

I have started developing such a plugin some time ago, but I didn't
continue, as I didn't know whether there would be an interest for it
(especially I wondered if a critical mass of plugin authors could be
moved to use it).

Regards,
Alex

--