[wp-hackers] JSON Syndication

Mike Purvis mike at uwmike.com
Fri Feb 16 16:51:49 GMT 2007

It's a neat idea, but I have two problems with it:

1. It's too late. There's already a format war between Atom and RSS,
not to mention podcasting enclosures, GeoRSS, and everything else.

2. The #1 thing that makes JSON cool and useful is the &callback=x
parameter, which allows it to be called cross-domain using dynamic
script tags. As an example, see how Google's geocoder works:

http://maps.google.com/maps/geo?output=json&callback=dostuff

However, it be disasterously irresponsible to implement something like
this in Wordpress and encourage people to use it. It's an open
invitation to run arbitrary JavaScript on random domains, a weakness
that XML simply does not have.

At any rate, the first step in this process would be to develop the
feed as a plugin, and demonstrate that it offers something not
available in existing syndication schemes. If this were truly the
case, then perhaps the leet hax0rs would consider adding it to the
core, down the road.

Mike

http://uwmike.com // http://googlemapsbook.com