[wp-hackers] JSON Syndication

Matt Patenaude MattPat at mattpat.net
Fri Feb 16 01:25:31 GMT 2007

Hey there,

For more than a year now, I've been developing my own content
management system called Tux CMS (http://blogwithtux.org), which
takes a lot of its feature ideas and concepts from WordPress (I've
also ported a few WP themes over to it). Extremely little borrowed
code, but a lot of borrowed inspiration, so first of all, I'd like to
say thanks to the WordPress team for an awesome product! :)

Second, though, I would like to suggest a feature. For the past few
months I've been getting fed up with XML, and getting to know JSON.
XML can be quite clunky, and really isn't suited for syndication when
you think about it. JSON, on the other hand, is a very lightweight
data serialization language, which greatly improves size and
simplicity of use of syndicated content (it has direct relationships
to programming structures, so it's easier to access programmatically
than XML through the DOM).

I'm trying to get a movement going of a syndication format made
completely in JSON. The first step, I figured, was to develop an
informal specification: http://howto.blogwithtux.org/index.php?
title=JSON_feed.

The next step was to create a working implementation of my
specification: http://www.mattpat.net/json.php. But then, when trying
to decide on the third step, I wondered, hmm, what would get this the
most exposure? Why, implementation by one of the best and most widely
used blogging engines, of course! I'm a big fan of WordPress (despite
the fact that I write my own CMS... of course, it's open source, so I
would call it more friendly competition), so I thought I might start
here.

Is this something WordPress developers might be interested in? I want
to make this a large movement... I even wrote an article on A List
Apart for it (still waiting for a response on it).

Let me know!

Sincerely,
Matt Patenaude
http://www.mattpat.net