[wp-hackers] WordPress.org and WordPress.com integration

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Thu Aug 30 14:04:44 GMT 2007

Going *really* off-topic here, but does anyone know of a good
*script*-based LDAP server?

I've been using various application-based LDAP servers on other
projects, but I'd love it if anyone could recommend a full-fledged
script+database-based LDAP server one could use. (basically for
cross-compatibility across different platforms, easy code hacking,
etc.)

Cheers,
CG

On 8/30/07, Stephane Daury <wordpress at tekartist.org> wrote:

> While we're on the integration subject, would anyone happen to know
> if there is currently a project towards having integration between
> self-hosted blogs and wordpress.com/.org user accounts?
>
> IE: Something like my upcoming wpDirAuth (LDAP/S) or the OpenID
> plugins that would let users with account on Wordpress.com/.org login
> to your self-hosted blog through an API handshake (could auto-create
> an account record locally, like other plugins do). When I say .org, I
> mean codex accounts, etc, not accounts from other self-hosted
> instances (allthough that's feasible too, but more complicated).
>
> Although I understand the tech and security implications, I do think
> it'd be pretty cool.
> The user base is obviously large enough to justify the effort (IMHO). :)
>
> Stephane
>

> On Aug 30, 2007, at 04:24, Jeremy Visser wrote:
>
> > After installing the Automattic Stats plugin a week or two ago, I was
> > very pleasantly surprised to see that on the top bar of every
> > WordPress.com blog, the dashboard and Write Post links for my .org
> > blog
> > 'jeremy.sunriseroad.net' also appeared there.
> >
> > I see that there is some level of integration going on there. What I
> > would like to see in the future is the possibility of my blog being
> > aggregated on WP.com and the ability for it to be included in WP.com's
> > tag browser, and in the WP.com 'Hawt Post' sections.
> >
> > Is this feasible?
> >
> > One fear you may have is that WordPress.com is a community, and
> > aggregating all the other WordPress.org blogs may turn it into another
> > Technorati. However, I don't want to be left out of the action because
> > of my decision to self-host a .org blog, and not use a .com blog.

Computer Guru
Director,
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/