[wp-hackers] Sharing Users/authentication

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Sat Aug 25 16:20:09 GMT 2007

Potential bug report and further discussion....

Okay, I've discovered this much:

The problem appears to be the "wp_capabilities" and "wp_user_level"
fields in the wp_usermeta table.  WordPress needs these field names
to match the active table prefix.

So, when I use the define()s to point to the other blog's user and
usermeta tables, it sees the wrong prefix in this field and hits an
error.

This only appears to affect admin screens, not the main blog itself.

Has anybody ever actually gotten this to work or is it just theory
that you can point one blog to another's user tables?

ALSO:  Should it be considered a bug that the field names have the
prefix hard-coded into them?  This seems like unnecessary duplication
of information to me, which is a database design no-no.

Stephen