[wp-hackers] Third Party Widgets

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sat Apr 28 05:36:42 GMT 2007

Aaron Brazell wrote:
> I have a question.
>
> What on earth do widget developers have to do to make their widgets
> available for the new widget system? IOW, it's no secret I run trunk. No
> big deal. I ask for breakage and that's fine. As soon as widgets were
> brought into the core, all custom widgets became unavailable. They are
> active as plugins. But unavailable on the widget page itself. It might
> be okay if thats the only place they were unavailable because, hey, who
> really wants to move widgets around anyway, right? But they aren't
> displaying in the sidebar of the blog either. In fact, the only widgets
> available to me are the stock widgets which is relatively okay.
>
> Again, I don't ask for a lot except I admit to asking for a broken blog.
> No problem. But what do those of us who WRITE widgets, say, for large
> blog networks with widgetized themes (:grin:) do to prepare for the WP
> 2.2 release?

I've been wondering the same thing, more or less.
Like you said: not really complaining, just wondering. A couple of days
ago, I had an error with register_widget() being redefined - so I
disabled my old widgets plugin, modified stupid widgets like "King's
Widget" & Co. that need to be in the same DIR as widgets.php, and went
to the presentation page. Till now, you can't get 3rd party widgets to
show.

I'm looking at the code:

Stock:
	register_sidebar_widget(__('Recent Comments'),
'wp_widget_recent_comments', null, 'recent-comments');
	register_widget_control(__('Recent Comments'),
'wp_widget_recent_comments_control', 320, 90, 'recent-comments');

3rd Party:
	register_sidebar_widget('Paypal Donate', 'widget_wpaypal');
	register_widget_control('Paypal Donate', 'widget_wpaypal_control', 300,
350);

Changing that second bit of code to:
	register_sidebar_widget('Paypal Donate', 'widget_wpaypal', null,
'paypal-donations');
	register_widget_control('Paypal Donate', 'widget_wpaypal_control', 300,
350, 'paypal-donations');

Fixes the problem.

Bascially, you have to suffix both function calls with a friendly
machine name or something?

I don't like it - there will be mass revolt when users find widgts no
longer work -> they're supposed to be the most easy to use stuff in WP!

- --
Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/