[wp-hackers] Re: 2.2 release

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Apr 20 10:44:44 GMT 2007

David Peralty wrote:
> I know I don't talk on here much, but I have made it as clear as I can
> on Blogging Pro that making a perfect 2.2 is more important than when
> its released.

It's important to distinguish between a perfect 2.2 and a 2.2 with all
desired features. I would consider a "perfect" 2.2 to be any version
that provides the features it does implement correctly, simply, and
without bugs. I have no objection at all to releasing a 2.2 version with
only one new feature if that's all that's ready, then 2.3 with one more,
then 2.4 with one more, and so on.

I am increasingly unthrilled (or negatively thrilled) with big bang
releases. Faster release cycles are good in general. However that does
not mean speeding up and compressing the same software development
process. It means cutting up the software into smaller feature sets with
each iteration so you get some features sooner rather than all features
much later. This is one of the fundamental principles and results of
agile development.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!