[wp-hackers] should (can?) wp-cache be adopted into the core?

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 18 13:33:07 GMT 2007

I agree 1000%. I do the tech work on two sites. One is averaging 250,000
hits a day and the other about 120,000 hits a day. Without running wp-cache,
our 8 core server dies. We also aren't running that many plugins, and the
ones we are have been run through the mill on profiling and not causing any
significant load. We also have a small shell script that runs, which
downloads the front page and generates an index.html for it to keep loads
down (which is a must for us), as well as using feedburner to handle the
additional 100,000+ feed subscribers for both sites.

One thing I think would help out a lot is to re-examine the filters. The
larger blog, we are using Haloscan. The smaller one is using WP-Comments,
and that one gets anywhere from 200-600 comments per post (with 8-10 posts
per day). On that site I changed the comments so they run off AJAX to help
with the load. I have a refresh comments script that reloads the newer
comments (which does not load the wp-core, but rather contains all the
filter functions within the single file and generates the output). It also
does comment posting via AJAX, but I still load the core in that to handle
posting better.

With all that said, it seems that we might be wasting a lot on comment
filtering. For every comment on every page we look at these filters being
loaded:

add_filter('comment_author', 'wptexturize');
add_filter('comment_author', 'convert_chars');
add_filter('comment_author', 'wp_specialchars');

add_filter('comment_email', 'antispambot');

add_filter('comment_flood_filter', 'wp_throttle_comment_flood', 10, 3);

add_filter('comment_url', 'clean_url');

add_filter('comment_text', 'convert_chars');
add_filter('comment_text', 'make_clickable', 9);
add_filter('comment_text', 'force_balance_tags', 25);
add_filter('comment_text', 'wpautop', 30);
add_filter('comment_text', 'convert_smilies', 20);

I have been toying with ideas in my mind to call those before the comment is
saved and then don't call it when the page is viewed. The big problem is
that we have close to 1,000,000 comments in the database right now, so I
need to come up with a way for Wordpress to tell if the comment has been
filtered (possible Boolean added to each comment - is_filtered), and then
using a cron job to filter out X amount of comments every Y minutes until
everything is caught up.

I did see a ticket awhile back for the same filter rearrangement to take
place on posts also and it seemed to be a very popular idea.

Something else I saw Matt mention in this thread was making WP more modular
to that it only loads what is needed versus the entire core. This is
something else that can help out a lot and I would like to see plugin
authors take the same approach. Some plugins require a lot of coding for the
admin code then very little for the actual page generation code. Having PHP
load and compile that admin code on every page view is a waste. It would be
better to move plugins to their own directory and do something as simple as
having the main plugin file load then if the user is on an admin page, load
the file containing all admin related code.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net