[wp-hackers] State of WP

Dr. Mike Wendell theapparatus at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 15:26:31 GMT 2007

On 4/9/07, Kevin McCann <kmccann at cruciverb.com> wrote:
> - each site would have its 8 uniquely-prefixed tables. Times that by
> 100,000 or possibly much more... anyone know if this'll be a problem for
> MySQL?

Yup.  Big problem.  Each of those tables consist of three files within
the MySQL database so you would be looking at 2.4million database
files.  A normal Linux directory can hold at most 32k files.  There
are those with multi database setups but all of them are sitting on
their solutions and not releasing them to the community.  It's doable
but you'd have to figure how how to do it yourself.

> - am I wrong in having the impression that many plug-ins don't work with
> WPMU? I tried Role Manager (I need to create new roles) but it doesn't

Search the WPMu forums.  It's been discussed.

> thing on the side? ie will many/most plug-ins simply not work with WPMU
> because there is little reason for plu-in developers to worry about that?

And many plugins do work out of the box.  A lot of plugin developers
haven't upgraded to the WP 2.1 way of doing the database tables.
That's usually the issue we've been hitting.  Anagin,m you may want to
search the forums as we've covered most of the major ones.

A suggestion would also be to check out wpmydev.org as Andrew has
allowed folks to upload new and reworked plugins there.

Regards,
-drmike

--
Blog: http://drmikessteakdinner.com