[wp-hackers] SVN: /branches/stable/

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 12:17:21 GMT 2006

On Fri, September 29, 2006 12:13 pm, Jeremy Visser wrote:
> Just a thought - does SVN support HTTP redirects? If so, instead of
> "reporting" the location with a REST service, you could simply do a
> HTTP redirect from a fixed url
> (http://static.wordpress.org/svn/latest) to the latest tag.
>
> On 9/29/06, Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk> wrote:
>> That will get messy and hard to track.
>>
>> How about a REST webservice (as was discussed before with regard to the
>> Update Notification stuff to go into core which I need to update for
>> current trunk - see http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/1476)
>>
>> If we have some REST services on wordpress.org like the following:
>>
>> http://rest.wordpress.org/1.0/stabletag
>>
>> Which returns the full path to the current stable wordpress version tag
>> all this nifty cron jobs can just use that to do svn switches as
>> necessary.
>>
>> We then would also have:
>>
>> http://rest.wordpress.org/1.0/lastestversion
>>
>> Which returns the version string of the latest version.
>>
>> http://rest.wordpress.org/1.0/releasenotes
>>
>> Which returns a link to the blog post announcing the latest version.
>>
>> http://rest.wordpress.org/1.0/updateseverity
>>
>> Which returns a string from the enum
>> [critical|recommended|informational]
>> these are used to grade the update where security issues which are
>> present
>> in a default install would be rated critical, those which require
>> non-default options (like for example enabling registration could be
>> recommended) and major version iterations would be informational.

Redirect's don't work:

With the following .htaccess:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /wp/
RewriteRule ^latest$ https://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/branches/2.0/
[R=301,L]

doing "svn co http://sandbox.ftwr.co.uk/wp/latest" gets

svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/wp/latest'
svn: PROPFIND of '/wp/latest': 301 Moved Permanently
(http://sandbox.ftwr.co.uk)

Even if this did work I think svn would get very pissed when the contents
of the root of the repo changed underneath it to not be the same url.

westi
--
Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>
http://blog.ftwr.co.uk