[wp-hackers] RTE

Petit petit at petitpub.com
Mon Sep 18 20:16:48 GMT 2006

Ryan Boren wrote:
> Robert Deaton wrote:
>> On 9/16/06, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
>>> An RTE is an essential core feature.  WP is worthless to most people
>>> without an RTE.  tinyMCE is our RTE, and it is tightly bundled by
>>> default.  If those on this list are unwilling to help make it better
>>> and
>>> want to drop in something of their own instead, hijack the filters that
>>> tinyMCE uses.  If we need to add filters anywhere to make this easier,
>>> send a patch.
>>
>> I disagree. If WP was worthless to most people without an RTE, 1.2 and
>> 1.5 would have been nowhere.
>
> If we didn't add it in 2.0, we would not have broadened our audience.
> wordpress.com certainly would not have the uptake it has has without
> it.  WYSIWYG and spellchecking are absolute requirements.  We had
> people turning away in large numbers until we had a spellchecker in
> tinyMCE.
Ryan, I'm lost here! Like many here, I turned the darned thing off. In
my case because I couldn't spell check with th Google bar spell checker.
It completely destroys an post if I use TinyMCE. I was surprised to hear
that it has a spell checker of its own, so I turned it on briefly to
find that. I can't, but I may be blind, so please inform me! I'd be
happy to use it if I could spell check.
( Being a bit Swedish ;)

/Petit