[wp-hackers] Plugin author stats

Andy Beard list.andy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 19:37:19 GMT 2006

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Once an actual directory is done I'm sure it will drive far more traffic
> to authors than they ever got on their own. (WordPress.org gets millions
> of visitors a month. It doesn't link out enough now.)
>
> However the above tool is purely for plugin authors, that's why it's
> unlinked anywhere on the site. It doesn't parse anything out of the
> plugin so it's actually dumb to everything but the name.

I just worked out why the way to access uploading ecaped me. It is fed
directly from wp-plugins.org (mentioned in the archives May 2005)

Will the system remain exclusive to those using wp-plugins.org ?

There isn't a requirement for theme authors submitting to
themes.wordpress.net to publish them under a GPL compatible license, there
is a seperate upload mechanism. Wp-plugins.org on the other hand is
exclusively for GPL compatible.

Some authors choose to use an alternate license (for various reasons),
others are forced to because they use code that might not be GPL compatible.
(e.g I used some stuff from Dynamic Drive in the past)

Regarding layout, it was just an observation. I am sure there is a benefit
in total traffic, and obviously in downloads for a theme.

Users are not encouraged to view the details about a theme, it is all one
click downloads. It is obvious from the 1000s of downloads for themes that
don't have comments or a rating.

There might be a difference in the type of traffic that ultimately goes to
the author's website. If someone downloads a theme, uploads it, activates
it, and they are happy, there is a high chance they will never visit the
authors website.
The people who will visit are the ones with problems.

Thus having the download button available immediately could potentially
change the ratio of happy/unhappy visitors. Happy visitors tend to offer
support and new ideas. They tend to explore the site more, read more, and
are more likely to bookmark.

What I have seen with themes is that support comments get split between the
theme owner's site and the theme database. That would cause an additional
workload for a plugin author.

I think a slightly different approach needs to be taken with the plugin site
interface. I am looking forward to using it  for some of my plugins, others
won't be able to because of licensing at present.