[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin development / hacking mentoring program

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 00:02:04 GMT 2006

On 10/20/06, Kirk Montgomery <clarke1866 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've written a number of plugins for wordpress and I'd like to write
> more.  Everything I've learned I've picked up via the web having never
> taken a programming course in High School or University.  I'm certain
> that the code I write is not very efficient or well thought out, and,
> although it does get the job done I think I'm reaching the end of
> things I can learn on my own.
>
> So I'm looking for a mentor, someone (or someones) who can answer a
> question or two once and awhile and point me in the right direction,
> look over my work, and generally tutor me and keep me on the straight
> and narrow.  While WP-hackers is a great resource to turn to for
> questions and advice, but there is no 'overall plan' and the
> questioner really dictates their own learning.  A mentor would be able
> to provide the guidance needed to grow and already know what the
> mentoree needs to learn.
>
> I'd really enjoy the opportunity of working with someone (or a group
> of people together) on making plugins / WordPress improvements /
> tinkering for the benefit of the whole of the WordPress community.  As
> I see it, the main benefit of being a mentorer would be the
> satisfaction of helping someone grow and watching that person help
> others.
>
> What do you think, are there people out there in the WP community
> willing to help out others in this manner?  Is this a good idea?

I know I would be willing to help out in this way, and have considered
it before but nobody has really ever requested the help. I've thought
about, like Steve said, being a mentor if nobody else was willing for
anyone who would like to take part in the SoC since I am disqualified
as a student. So, if you or anyone else wants someone who's just
around to ask questions, check out code, point you in the right
direction, etc., I'm willing to help, and I'm sure I'm not the only
one who would be willing to help.

--
--Robert Deaton