[wp-hackers] alternative database support

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sat Oct 7 15:21:48 GMT 2006

___/ On Sat 07 Oct 2006 07:38:00 BST, [ Peter Westwood ] wrote : \___

> On 7 Oct 2006, at 07:09, Michael K Dolan wrote:
>
>> I've looked through wp-db.php and it seems supporting an alternate
>> database (say db2, oracle or even postgresql) wouldn't be too
>> difficult... has anyone tried porting wp to another database before? Are
>> there other complications than changing the syntax to match a new
>> database?
>
> The main complication you will come accros will be mysqlisms in queries
> - either those in the core or those that plugins pump through $wpdb.
>
> There have been attempts to port to sqlite
> (http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2317)
>
> The best place to start is to write a extended version of the wpdb
> class which uses the alternative database engine and converts any
> mysqlisms in queries to work with the new database engine.
>
> You code can be loaded in by the pluggable db code in 2.1
> (http://trac.wordpress.org/changeset/4154 and
> http://trac.wordpress.org/changeset/4160)

This is being discussed fairly regularly, e.g.:

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2006-March/005428.html

Maybe it's worth inclusion in some FAQ under wp.org...?  Also, it's bound
to become a serious  problem from  a political  and a technical point  of
view.   I recently discussed  this  elsewhere,  also  in  the context  of
WordPress < http://tinyurl.com/s7kbt >. The sooner people get choice,
the better, IMHO. Transparency is among one of WP's selling points.
*smile*

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU/Linux  |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E