[wp-hackers] Re: Changing MySQL minimum version

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Thu Nov 30 18:11:24 GMT 2006

Not to start a war or anything, but I think David's right. Ever since 1.5 WP
has become notorious for its rather in-efficient database. I'm NOT (let me
repeat: NOT) a database expert and all I know about MySQL is just how to
create a database that does the job. But I think there is something missing
from WP's database performance.

When you have forums like phpBB and IPB that can take up to 100 or more
times the load as WP _without caching_ and they serve quite a lot more
queries, I think that means something is wrong.

IMO, WP being inefficient at DB-querying is something that already happened,
and unless someone is volunteering to completely redo the database with full
optimizations and proper schemas taking advantage of all of MySQL's
(admittedly few) SQL-Side power tools, there's nothing to be done. But
ignoring these features for future changes and feature-sets is another
story...

Just my two cents..

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies