[wp-hackers] Replacing TinyMCE with Xinha

Kirk Steffensen blogger at steffensenfamily.com
Thu Nov 30 02:18:24 GMT 2006

Denis,

I agree there are bugs in TinyMCE, but I also agree that the TinyMCE folks
have been squashing them fairly quickly.  I built a plugin for TinyMCE
(http://g2image.steffensenfamily.com) that's been used in WPG2
(http://wpg2.galleryembedded.com) for the past six months, so I feel I have
a little credibility on the matter.

That said, I think your specific example is not a good one.  Any editor for
a part of a page should strip out the <html> and <head> tags.  The shell (in
this case WordPress) is responsible for those parts.  The subparts of a page
should not try to have their own <html> and <head> tags, they should only be
a part of the <body> tag.  Unless I'm totally missing what you're trying to
do.

I'm not religiously tied to TinyMCE either.  I can modify my Gallery2 plugin
for any editor with a good plugin system.  If we're going to look at a new
editor, though, I'd recommend a look at FCKEditor, too.  It has fairly wide
support among the other CMS-type software.

I think it is worth noting that one of my favorite "big CMS" projects,
Joomla (http://www.joomla.org) is also using TinyMCE as its default WYSIWYG
editor.  Joomla also has a good plugin system that allows you to choose
other editors, but it is their default, too.

Kirk