[wp-hackers] Lack of code savvy volunteers vs wp-hackers

Michael B miklb.online at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 07:15:04 GMT 2006

On 11/25/06, Robert Deaton <robert at lushlab.com> wrote:

> If hackers are going to be bothered to answer questions, they want a
> question that is going
> to pose a challenge,

Can anyone say elitism?

> Sure, the other volunteers don't mind re-answering the same repetitive
> questions day after day, but that quality is not one that is
> widespread, especially in the typical programmer community.

I don't like answering  the same repetitive  question, nor do  I.  For some
ungodly reason,  I have a memory that serves me much better than most, and I
know when I read a question if it's been asked before.  (Granted, I've read
probably a thousand or more threads...)  Can I be sure they'll easily find
it by a search?  No.   Have I shared my thoughts over the year plus that
I've volunteered on how to make those things easier to find?  Yes.  Has it
gotten better?  Yes.

I'm not remotely asking the "hackers" to answer the common questions about
sidebars dropping down, or how to change a header, I'm saying some bloody
well smart folks ask some down right serious questions that would rival any
"challenging" question I've seen posted to wp-hackers.  Generally speaking,
they go unanswered.  I don't think it's a good idea (emphasis on I) to
simply send them to the hackers list.  I think most folks go to the support
forums first.  Some might be savvy enough to find wp-hackers.  My thought
was to meld the two.  Shame on me.

Michael