[wp-hackers] Is WordPress Development Slowing Down?

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Mon May 15 13:25:26 GMT 2006

Anne Gibson wrote:

> On May 15, 2006, at 4:36 AM, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Figures seem to indicate that, based on the (admittedly poor
>> indicator  which is) number of commits, WordPress changes less and
>> less as
>> time  goes on. A decline from half a dozen commits per day to just 1
>> or  2
>> is noticeable.
>
> I look at this as the sign of a fairly mature and stable application.

Indeed.  While the blogging space is still evolving, it is quite natural
that the pace of development should be slowing down by now.  There just
isn't as much that needs doing as there used to be.

> I think you're having trouble convincing folks to use Wordpress as a CMS
> because it isn't a CMS. Since I don't need a CMS for my site, I'd
> personally prefer that Wordpress stay as it is - a very functional
> blogging tool.

Exactly.  Software that tries to be all things to all people almost
always ends up bloated, buggy, and insecure.

It should be noted however, that there are people working on integrating
WordPress with CMSes, such as Joomla, and I think if that can be done
cleanly, that makes more sense than "spoiling" an excellent blogging
tool, by twisting it into something else.

- Ron