[wp-hackers] Easytags template system

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Wed May 10 07:19:20 GMT 2006

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Owen Winkler wrote:
>> There is a large body of other arguments against easytags and for
>> native code.  I'm omitting those here to prevent myself from imploding.
>
> I wasn't suggesting a template system at all, just a filter on the WP
> template-editing textareas that make the template syntax friendlier for
> people editing through the web form.

There's something to be said for the "there isn't a problem that needs
fixing" argument, especially when it keeps people away from things that
obviously they can't handle (for whatever reason).

That is however the advantage of the approach you're suggesting.  If you
cause the code to change from:

   <?php potato(); ?>

to:

   <$potato$>

Not only does it not frighten the timid as much, it's far less likely
they're going to break it during editing, and if they do, it's far more
likely they'll be able to see what's wrong with it.  That has *got* to
be a plus.

- Ron