[wp-hackers] Porting Wordpress to PostgreSQL

Alex King lists at alexking.org
Sat Mar 25 16:37:30 GMT 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 6:44 PM, Robert Deaton wrote:
> On 3/23/06, Andrew Krespanis <leftjustified at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/24/06, Martin <mgonzo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I would be very willing to contribute some time to this effort,
>>> by writing
>>> SQL, PHP code and/or documentation.
>>
>> Sweet, that's two of us onboard for an adoDB port... or do you have
>> reasons to recommend PEAR:DB instead?
>
> The one warning I'll give you about adding adoDB to WP at all, is the
> speed. Well over half of the CPU time that WP spends while loading
> pages are actually PHP's lexical scanner parsing the thousands of line
> of source code which are included on every page and compiling the byte
> code from that. Imagine adding adodb to that, without a byte code
> cache, the load of adodb, and you've just made WP a server killer ;-)

I recently ported my Tasks Pro/Tasks software (the code is ~25,000
lines, excluding language files and external libraries like ADOdb,
etc.) to ADOdb, the page load time changed by ~.02 seconds (without
using the compiled extension). For me, gaining PostgreSQL and MS SQL
server support for .02 seconds per page was a pretty good trade off.

Also, not all ADOdb code is loaded at run time - only (well, mostly)
the stuff you need.

Cheers,
--Alex King

Personal             Business               FeedLounge
http://alexking.org  http://kingdesign.net  http://feedlounge.com