[wp-hackers] get_template function

Sam Angove sam at rephrase.net
Mon Mar 20 01:37:22 GMT 2006

On 3/20/06, Robert Deaton <false.hopes at gmail.com> wrote:

> -1, this would introduce possibly the largest backwards compatiblity
> break in the history of all software, I'd estimate around 80-90% of
> themes would stop working with a change like this, the reason that the
> current behavior exists is so that a theme developer does not have to
> write 20 files to get a simple theme working. I think the behavior is
> perfectly fine as it is.

Really? Just to be clear, this function would have no impact on the
way the template loader falls back to index.php if the query templates
are missing.

Only header.php, footer.php, sidebar.php, comments.php and
comments-popup.php are loaded in this way, and I've never seen a theme
missing the first two, at least.

Still, that's why I asked if there was a reason. :P