[wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future

Mike Little mike at zed1.com
Sat Mar 11 00:40:14 GMT 2006

On 3/10/06, steve caturan <scaturan at negimaki.com> wrote:
> i read somewhere that it takes 10 minutes to write the code but takes
> days to write & run unit tests for it. heh, h0bbel can attest to that! :)

I can attest to the exact opposite. Proper test driven development
speeds up your development immensely . It also speeds up subsequent
refactoring.

I have spent the last 15+ months doing test driven development. I
produced a 50,000 line Java application which currently runs just over
1500 automated tests every time it is built (about 3.5 minutes for a
build and test run). About 200 of those tests are run post-deployment
in-server against two different servlet engines.

Whilst unit tests are much harder to retrofit to existing code. Every
single automated test written is an advantage.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/