[wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 21:34:47 GMT 2006

On 10/03/06, Craig <nuclearmoose at gmail.com> wrote:
> Where's the guidelines on testing? What was I supposed to be looking for? I
> could have wasted my time and that of the devs etc., by looking for
> something they weren't even interested in. This was a security release, and
> I had no knowledge or way of testing the effectiveness of the fixes.

I'd like to stop being bitter and actually get something productive
out of this thread. I echo the statements that a testing procedure
would perhaps make people less familiar with the software feel a bit
more useful. So, here's my proposal for a bufix release:

* Run through the list of bugs that we've supposedly fixed (Ryan
linked to it in his testers post)
* Use the software as you normally do, with plugins. Don't forget
things like feeds, enclosures, links, users, etc.
* Report back with as much information as you have. Install dump-env
[1] and give us the output of that. Mention what works, what breaks,
anything you've noticed. The more information the better.

How does that sound?

As for the message to forums, that's easily done. If it makes a
difference, I don't see why not.

Oh, and you mentioned you don't know how to test the security fixes.
No problem. They're only a handful of bugs, and they get tested more
than any others. Just take it that they work.

[1]: http://dev.wp-plugins.org/file/dump_env/trunk/dump_env.php

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net